JFK’s assassination agent speaks up 60 years after the incident:

Those terrible days after President John F. Kennedy’s assassination in Dallas in 1963 produced a number of iconic photos, including 3-year-old John F. Kennedy Jr. saluting his father’s casket in Washington, D.C., and Lyndon B. Johnson taking the oath of office as the new president on Air Force One.

Nonetheless, a single photo that was taken soon after Kennedy was shot caught the interest of American media outlets nationwide. In order to protect the president and first lady, it included a Secret Service agent leaping onto the back of the presidential vehicle.

The assassination’s 60th anniversary is on Wednesday, Nov. 22. And that 91-year-old Secret Service agent, Clint Hill, is accepting that he was the one who attempted to save the president.

“My name was just Clint Hill before Dallas,” Hill said to Radio Diaries. “I became known as the man who got into the president’s car after that. Dallas’s six-second window is a difficult one to live with.”

In 1960, Hill found that his first lady Jacqueline Kennedy was a far more affable task than any he had ever had.

” Hill remembered. Kennedy was familiar with your first name. If you were married, he knew it. He was aware of your kid status. He would pause and engage in conversation with you. Therefore, we held him in the highest regard.”

Kennedy was in Dallas on the day of the assassination, visiting the city as part of a campaign trail for the 1964 election. Large crowds greeted the president and first lady when Air Force One touched down at Dallas Love Field. As the motorcade passed through Dallas, the number of spectators continued to rise.

There were folks staring out of windows. They were perched above structures. On fire escapes, that is. wherever they might be to meet the First Lady and the President.”

Hill had been positioned directly behind the presidential limousine on the running board of the follow-up automobile. But as the procession passed past Dealey Plaza, Hill heard a loud boom over his right shoulder, which instantly converted his joy into terror.

Hill remembered, “I didn’t think it was a gunshot at first.” “I assumed it was some sort of firework. However, upon witnessing the president’s response, I realized it was abnormal. He actually began to sink to his left and flung his hands to his throat.”

Without any delay, Hill sprang from the pursuit vehicle and climbed onto the rear of the state limousine. The president was hit in the head by another bullet as he boarded the aircraft. Following this picture, the first woman got up onto the trunk to greet Hill, who helped her get back inside the car. The presidential limousine drove toward the hospital, and Hill used his body as a barrier.

Following the incident, Hill was overcome with guilt. He writes of going to Johnson’s swearing-in on Air Force One with Jacqueline Kennedy, still sporting her bloodstained outfit, in his book Five Days in November.

In the next years, the emotion persisted. Hill served three additional presidents after his contract with Jacqueline Kennedy ended in 1964, but he continued to experience remorse following the killing.

In regards to the Secret Service, Hill stated, “We received no counseling at all.” “There was no PTSD in those days.”

Hill continued to experience health problems in 1975, which were connected to his psychological state following the killing. He was informed that the Secret Service would have to retire him when he failed his yearly medical test. Hill’s age was forty-three.

Hill said, “It was all aftermath of the Kennedy assassination.” “After that, I became really miserable at home in Virginia. I survived on two packs of smokes every day.

The feeling lingered over the ensuing years. After his contract with Jacqueline Kennedy expired in 1964, Hill served three more presidents, but he never stopped feeling guilty about the death.

In 1975, Hill’s health issues persisted, and they were linked to his psychological state after the murder. When he failed his annual physical, he was told the Secret Service would have to retire him. Hill was forty-three years old.

Hill stated, “It was all aftermath of the Kennedy assassination.”I was pretty sad back home in Virginia after that. Every day, I managed to get by on two packs of smokes.

In the interview, Hill stated, “I would have succeeded if I had taken a different course.” “It’s my fault.”
Even now, Hill struggles with whether he still feels worthy of the title of hero.

But Hill has been more at ease talking about what happened to him on the day of the killing and how he felt about himself afterwards. He has co-authored four books on his time as a Secret Service agent with his wife, Lisa McCubbin Hill. This month marks the book’s 60th anniversary with the publishing of Five Days in November.

Read more:..One Plus Pad Price and Review

By surojit

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *